Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Lovecraft Maps?
Eliphas Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Lovecraft Maps?

(I think in English it's like : "We are never better served than by oneself" or something like that.)

Quote: Too bad though that the engine hasn't proven itself to be effective with outdoor areas (especially daytime?) and "friendly" (or non-monster) NPCs though I guess nobody has tried it.
If I remeber well, in "The old Well" there were a friendly Npc (A Grunt), I should check this timely.
But, to return to the original topic, I don't think that tracing a story on a novel of Lovecraft in every detail would be a good idea, this would leave a little room for imagination in my opinion. And, furthermore, anyone who would read the book before, would have a clear idea of the end (although the denouements are fairly predictable in Lovecraft literature !). It can be an interesting project.
05-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

This probably wouldn't be the best engine for a direct adaptation as any given Lovecraft story would require NPC's. An indirect adaptation could definately work, if anyone wants to plan a CS for that I would be more than happy to pitch in with scripting. If an outdoor environment could be done properely then I think the 'Dunwich Horror' story of his would be a good one to adapt, for anyone that knows it, that still would need to be a loose adaptation
05-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Find
Eliphas Offline

Threads: 1

Well, Npc can be created in 3D, it requires work, but it is quite possible if I am not mistaken. I am also for an indirect adaptation of a Lovecraftian novel maybe like 'Dunwhich Horror', 'The case of Charles Dexter Ward' or something like that but arranged so as not to tell the story as she is written. Moreover, I found a flash game long time ago, inspired by Lovecraft's stories (including the case of Charles Dexter Ward to a certain extent) that could serve as a support. This is an original story but in which we recognize very well the Lovecraftians elements. Here are the references for those who want to discover the game :

Arcane - The Miller Estate
Arcane - The Stone Circle

To return to the original topic, although I have not much time during the year, I can try to produce some 3D elements if someone can help me for the Unwrap in particular. In addition, I have some ease with writing and can help especially for the scenario.

If there is a project : Here is my Skype : eliphas.0

Regards,
Yog-Sothoth Neblod-zin !
05-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(05-28-2012, 02:42 PM)Adrianis Wrote: This probably wouldn't be the best engine for a direct adaptation as any given Lovecraft story would require NPC's. An indirect adaptation could definately work, if anyone wants to plan a CS for that I would be more than happy to pitch in with scripting. If an outdoor environment could be done properely then I think the 'Dunwich Horror' story of his would be a good one to adapt, for anyone that knows it, that still would need to be a loose adaptation
After a few days of trying, I bumped into problem that would hinder me making one right now. Even though I haven't read any lovecraft stories, I could base on a Lovecraft area (with what little I hear of certain places) and make my own story. The problem with this is that a lot of the monsters are non-humanoid, or if they re then Amnesia 1 nor Penumbra has something resembling it.

I am currently working on a new concept, but it's still early in the process.
05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(05-28-2012, 04:23 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Even though I haven't read any lovecraft stories, I could base on a Lovecraft area (with what little I hear of certain places) and make my own story.
You really need to read Lovecrafts stories in order to make Lovecraft stories, because if you get the lore wrong, some people will be very upset with you. What is unique about Lovecraft stories, is that it's the lore, not the monsters, that's scary, and studying this lore is like studying physics. It's not something that you comprehend overnight.
...so if you won't read Lovecrafts own stories, don't attempt to make "chased by Lovecraft monsters" stories, because that will fail horribly.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(05-28-2012, 04:33 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-28-2012, 04:23 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Even though I haven't read any lovecraft stories, I could base on a Lovecraft area (with what little I hear of certain places) and make my own story.
You really need to read Lovecrafts stories in order to make Lovecraft stories, because if you get the lore wrong, some people will be very upset with you. What is unique about Lovecraft stories, is that it's the lore, not the monsters, that's scary, and studying this lore is like studying physics. It's not something that you comprehend overnight.
...so if you won't read Lovecrafts own stories, don't attempt to make "chased by Lovecraft monsters" stories, because that will fail horribly.
I want to read Lovecraft stories, the problem is I don't have the ability to read one. I was, for example, trying to find "The Shub-Niggurath Cycle" to read online (at least a few of them). So far I haven't had much luck.

Until I read one, I plan to make my own story not based on a Lovecraft story.
05-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-28-2012, 04:39 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
I want to read Lovecraft stories, the problem is I don't have the ability to read one. I was, for example, trying to find "The Shub-Niggurath Cycle" to read online (at least a few of them). So far I haven't had much luck.

Not written by Lovecraft. Here you can find the complete (if not complete, very extensive) collection of his short stories. Best thing you can do though is look for a "collected works" book because reading online, especially on that site, is quite painful. I have this huge 900 page tome of Lovecraft stories called "The Necronomicon - The Best Weird Tales of HP Lovecraft" that unfortunately I haven't even read half of (because I'm a lazy reader), however it is very well formatted with some great illustrations and a map of Arkham which is awesome. If you can find that one I highly recommend it.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2012, 04:50 PM by Bridge.)
05-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(05-28-2012, 04:50 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(05-28-2012, 04:39 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:

Not written by Lovecraft. Here you can find the complete (if not complete, very extensive) collection of his short stories. Best thing you can do though is look for a "collected works" book because reading online, especially on that site, is quite painful. I have this huge 900 page tome of Lovecraft stories called "The Necronomicon - The Best Weird Tales of HP Lovecraft" that unfortunately I haven't even read half of (because I'm a lazy reader), however it is very well formatted with some great illustrations and a map of Arkham which is awesome. If you can find that one I highly recommend it.
Oh wow thank you! I never heard of this site. I will have to bookmark it and read some (as time permits).
05-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Well, not that I want to SPOIL anything for anyone that hasnt read it but, the Dunwich Horror features a monster that is totally invisible. Being totally invisible, it is a little easier to model than, say, Cthulu itself.

Rockworm... "Even though I haven't read any lovecraft stories, I could base on a Lovecraft area"
lol, as I said, there is nothing about the places themselves that Lovecraft writes about that is interesting, it is what happens there (i.e. the story that Lovecraft writes) that makes them interesting.

The real problem with all this 'Making a Lovecraft CS' business is that, the best part about Lovecrafts stories based on the so-called Cthulu Mythos, is how utterly incomprehensible the situation is. The principle of the inter-dimensional alien god horrors is meant to be something that your mind finds difficult to deal with, like the story about the asteroid hitting earth with the 'new colour' in it. This incomprehensible horror theme lends itself extremely well in literature, where Lovecraft is relying on your imagination's constant involvement in building the picture in your mind, but in a Game? I'm not so sure it could be pulled off, certainly not well, and almost certainly not by a bunch of amateurs like us Big Grin Then again, be fun to try!
05-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

What I like the most about Lovecraft, is that it pits mankind against the whole universe, and does it so well that the smallness of humanity is the terrifying bit. In Doctor Who, when the spider people is revealed to
Spoiler below!
have created Earth just as a place to nest in,
that was a Lovecraft moment for me. That's what I loved about Tennant too: He brought Lovecraft into Doctor Who.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2012, 08:53 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
05-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Find