Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What was the last Film you watched?
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: What was the last Film you watched?

Saw Django Unchained last night. What a terrible movie. 8.6 on imdb? Seriously? It's a 5/10 at best. It did not need to be 3 hours long and while I appreciated the humor the movie has an inexcusable lack of story, proper pacing, character development, well-balanced direction, what have you. It's disappointing because I really enjoyed Inglorious Basterds.
02-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(02-02-2013, 12:09 PM)Bridge Wrote: Saw Django Unchained last night. What a terrible movie. 8.6 on imdb? Seriously? It's a 5/10 at best. It did not need to be 3 hours long and while I appreciated the humor the movie has an inexcusable lack of story, proper pacing, character development, well-balanced direction, what have you. It's disappointing because I really enjoyed Inglorious Basterds.
That's a shame to hear. I really enjoyed Inglorious Bastards as well.

While on the topic of Tarantino films...I really need to see Pulp Fiction sometime. Haven't done so yet.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM by Kreekakon.)
02-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

(02-02-2013, 12:36 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(02-02-2013, 12:09 PM)Bridge Wrote: Saw Django Unchained last night. What a terrible movie. 8.6 on imdb? Seriously? It's a 5/10 at best. It did not need to be 3 hours long and while I appreciated the humor the movie has an inexcusable lack of story, proper pacing, character development, well-balanced direction, what have you. It's disappointing because I really enjoyed Inglorious Basterds.
That's a shame to hear. I really enjoyed Inglorious Bastards as well.

While on the topic of Tarantino films...I really need to see Pulp Fiction sometime. Haven't done so yet.

Hmm 3 hours, was unaware it was so long.

Interesting to hear your opinion. Yet to see it myself either, and I also liked Inglorious Basterds.

I just don't understand the love for Pulp Fiction... It had a great cast and was different but I'd say it was just an average film. I need to see Reservoir Dogs as well.

[Image: luv.gif]
02-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I think Quentin Tarantino uses an excess of blood in an attempt to call it "art". Viewed in a harsh light I think the comment Bridge made isn't unique for "Django", but applies to all of his movies. I can still appreciate his movies though; queer characters, strange (bordering on comically odd) situations and massive amounts of unnecessary violence. :]

Edit: Pulp fiction delivers some nice dialogue scenes (inglorious bastards as well, but not to the same extent) which is why I think it's above the rest of his movies.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2013, 08:24 PM by Acies.)
02-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(02-02-2013, 08:22 PM)Acies Wrote: I think Quentin Tarantino uses an excess of blood in an attempt to call it "art". Viewed in a harsh light I think the comment Bridge made isn't unique for "Django", but applies to all of his movies. I can still appreciate his movies though; queer characters, strange (bordering on comically odd) situations and massive amounts of unnecessary violence. :]

Edit: Pulp fiction delivers some nice dialogue scenes (inglorious bastards as well, but not to the same extent) which is why I think it's above the rest of his movies.

Believe me, I'm not one of those people that complains about needless violence in a Tarantino movie. His films are pretty much glorified cartoons and I respect that. As stupid as it is, I enjoy Pulp Fiction. I think it's overrated, but at least it has no higher aspirations than being, well... Pulp Ficton. I'm not exactly sure what Tarantino was going for with Django but a good deal of it felt like it was intended to be serious. Trying to steer clear of spoilers, but just to be sure:

Spoiler below!
The movie takes place right before the Civil War when racism was at its peak. Tarantino seemed to want Django to be a poignant portrait of slavery 1860s USA when it just wasn't compatible with the groundwork he laid earlier in the movie. The massive tonal shifts between black people being mistreated & tortured and Django being a total badass killing people, plus the abundant comedy are just too much for one isolated movie. It makes the movie incredibly imbalanced and by the end you just don't know what kind of movie you're watching. Believe me, it's not a hilarious genre 180 like From Dusk Till Dawn, it just sucks. You end up not caring about any of the characters because they are all cartoons and the movie just becomes an indefinite mess. I wouldn't mind this so much if it were competently made, but in this case I definitely think Tarantino did a horrible job technically. It was not well shot, the entire movie felt like it was shot on a set (you don't get a good sense of the geography and there is not enough variety in the locations - same problem True Grit had, and a lot of movies nowadays regrettably). The writing was very good for the first 30 mins, but then they drop any mystery they managed to build up and focused on a very undeveloped and boring story which failed to deliver on all accounts. Anyway, I don't know what else to say, except that I just didn't enjoy it.
02-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

It's almost creepy how odd it is, seeing people comment on the brilliance that was Pulp Fiction as "Meh, I thought it was okay." From the first scene, I witnessed a dialogue driven by something beautiful, grimy, and original. It's like when you read a simple classic like To Kill A Mockingbird -- thewords aren't magnificent in their delivery, yet if you changed a single sentence it'd lose itself. Or when you witness the rare instance of artwork achieving artistic balance; change a single brush-stroke and it's value has dissipated.
02-03-2013, 02:04 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

I've seen Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0.... Character development wasteland...
02-03-2013, 02:30 AM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

(02-03-2013, 02:04 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: It's almost creepy how odd it is, seeing people comment on the brilliance that was Pulp Fiction as "Meh, I thought it was okay." From the first scene, I witnessed a dialogue driven by something beautiful, grimy, and original. It's like when you read a simple classic like To Kill A Mockingbird -- thewords aren't magnificent in their delivery, yet if you changed a single sentence it'd lose itself. Or when you witness the rare instance of artwork achieving artistic balance; change a single brush-stroke and it's value has dissipated.

I can be controversial with my opinions. Pulp Fiction has a lot of love behind it and everything but I just wasn't feeling it at all.

People think I'm crazy in a similar way to how I think people who hate A Clockwork Orange are crazy.

02-03-2013, 02:57 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(02-03-2013, 02:57 AM)Lucke Wrote: People think I'm crazy in a similar way to how I think people who hate A Clockwork Orange are crazy.

I hear you there; I seem to remember killing my mother for not liking that film.
02-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

So the last film I saw was "Now is Good". Its a feelgood comedy *cough* just kidding.

Dakota Fanning plays Tessa, a 17 year old girl who has been living with cancer for the past few years and has refused chemo. It portrays what could possibly be the last few days/months/years she has to live.

Whats really interesting is how the film was made in the UK (I was surprised because Dakota Fanning threw me off the whole possibility). Its nice to see a representation of the UK for once though.

Tessa is living by a list of things she wants to do, including having sex and doing drugs etc. Her family is not ideal, separated parents, a overwhelming father and a mother who doesn't know how to care for her and a little brother who is open to asking what will happen when she dies! (Kid is quite funny)

Jeremy Irvine (War Horse) puts in a good performance. Seems like he's becoming a big actor now.

One thing I will say is how for a large portion of the film I found it hard to connect with Tessa because she was a bitch, yet she had reason to be I suppose.

Not the best film i've ever seen, but worth watching.

02-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Find