Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My thoughts on Custom Stories
PewDiePie Offline

Threads: 1
RE: My thoughts on Custom Stories

"Oh... my... fucking... god i have lost COUNT on how many ''You wake up in an unknown dungeon place thing with no memory of how you got there but SOMEHOW you know SOMETHING is after you and you absolutely HAVE to get out of there.'' stories that are out there. It mildly pisses me off to be honest. "

hahah omg I litterally thought about this 1 minute before I read or even saw this thread.
01-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

(01-31-2012, 08:37 PM)PewDiePie Wrote: "Oh... my... fucking... god i have lost COUNT on how many ''You wake up in an unknown dungeon place thing with no memory of how you got there but SOMEHOW you know SOMETHING is after you and you absolutely HAVE to get out of there.'' stories that are out there. It mildly pisses me off to be honest. "

hahah omg I litterally thought about this 1 minute before I read or even saw this thread.
true though! ^^

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
01-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

I find it okay, as long I get really explanation how the duck he got there Tongue... Sadly as you said: "
"Oh... my... fucking... god i have lost COUNT on how many" times that thing doesn't get explained...

I say that my CS has also similar system -> You wake up, you are in fucking table, you are being fucking cut and you lose concious. And now you gonna get to know story, how the fuck you got on that table.

In some sense, you can indeed do as well: "You are that dude and you go into that place to discover that", etc... It is awesome, but sometimes it can be rather boring or worse then what OP topic said Smile.

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
01-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Find
PewDiePie Offline

Threads: 1

(01-31-2012, 11:22 PM)Elven Wrote: I find it okay, as long I get really explanation how the duck he got there Tongue... Sadly as you said: "
"Oh... my... fucking... god i have lost COUNT on how many" times that thing doesn't get explained...

I say that my CS has also similar system -> You wake up, you are in fucking table, you are being fucking cut and you lose concious. And now you gonna get to know story, how the fuck you got on that table.

In some sense, you can indeed do as well: "You are that dude and you go into that place to discover that", etc... It is awesome, but sometimes it can be rather boring or worse then what OP topic said Smile.
I don't think theres anything wrong to do that storywise, for me it's just boring gameplaywise. Start in bedroom->Loot tinderboxes+lantern->Read notes..
Idk it gets old.

02-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

(02-01-2012, 12:01 AM)PewDiePie Wrote:
(01-31-2012, 11:22 PM)Elven Wrote: I find it okay, as long I get really explanation how the duck he got there Tongue... Sadly as you said: "

I don't think theres anything wrong to do that storywise, for me it's just boring gameplaywise. Start in bedroom->Loot tinderboxes+lantern->Read notes..
Idk it gets old.

I certainly agree on that part. Gameplaywise it is way too traditional in way too many stories. WAY too many stories.

Now combine those 2 with storywise and gameplaywise = Zzzzz...

I can imagine how many times u have had to put nice face even though u think "Oh dear god... not that same thing again..."

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
02-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(02-01-2012, 12:01 AM)PewDiePie Wrote:

Idk it gets old.
True, but it CAN be good when done well. I mean look at the main game for example, it starts off the exact same way and I'm sure everyone here can agree Amnesia has an amazing story. It's just most of the time it's used as an excuse to throw the player right into the story without having to set up back story, emotions, etc.

Posting Freak
02-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Website Find
LHudson Offline

Threads: 9

Quite an interesting article you have here and I would like to add some stuff.

I am ok with fun stories and I have (or Rachel played) an Amnesia Map that was ment for PewDiePie, and I admit, we had a lot of fun. Some bugs were in there and it wasn't tested fully but it was a great imperfect game. However, since my hiatus on here I have begun to get a few reoccurring warning signs of a custom story being less than stellar, or even god awful.

Quick disclaimer before anyone gets their torches and pitchforks out. I am not a PewDiePie fanboy but I am subscribed to his works. I enjoy what I see and laugh while not being a "bro". Better way to describe it would be that I watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and enjoy it but I am not a "Brony".

I recently played and recorded a story and noticed a few things that have applied to those who are familiar with Felix's work. Example, the golden statue that you may or may not know as Stephano. Yeah we do have fun with it but more and more recently they have been purposely shoehorned in there for the purpose of getting a reaction and as an after effect, pad out the video a bit. Same applies to the barrels and the flying bodies.

There are ways to have said statue and barrels in the game without the whole shoehorning and make it look like it fits, but that depends on the aesthetics of the story. For example. Barrels would be more suitable in a refinery or storage compartment then say...in the middle of the floor or on top of the stairs. It did bug me that the map was mainly a "this is for Pew please play it lawledge" and the experience didn't really feel right. No opening nor conclusion. Now if I can compare it to say...Through The Portal then you get an opening via the game its based of. You know what has happened and the aesthetic makes you want to explore and find the secrets, and also wraps up the story with a small stage of being pissed of (the ending).

Stories need to be thought out. Small drawings on graph paper, the story, the notes and how they can be more than a collectable. I would like to see a story with a full on custom monster and not some pin on to an existing monster like Dark Room (which is also in my superstar tag team for best stories ever!)

In conclusion, I do encourage fun maps but they need to have a purpose than being a cry for Cry or Pew or Morfar anyone else on the Machinima/GameStation network (or others). You can still have it but you need something else. Dark Room is a great example for breaking the atmosphere while still being a great laugh and I have yet to see another map that can also do that, and if there is, link me so I can give it a try.

Also, plus 1 for Extra Credits Big Grin

Lots of Love
LHudson

[Image: sigpic401029_1.gif]
02-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

(02-01-2012, 02:55 AM)LHudson Wrote: Quite an interesting article you have here and I would like to add some stuff.

I am ok with fun stories and I have (or Rachel played) an Amnesia Map that was ment for PewDiePie, and I admit, we had a lot of fun. Some bugs were in there and it wasn't tested fully but it was a great imperfect game. However, since my hiatus on here I have begun to get a few reoccurring warning signs of a custom story being less than stellar, or even god awful.

Quick disclaimer before anyone gets their torches and pitchforks out. I am not a PewDiePie fanboy but I am subscribed to his works. I enjoy what I see and laugh while not being a "bro". Better way to describe it would be that I watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and enjoy it but I am not a "Brony".

I recently played and recorded a story and noticed a few things that have applied to those who are familiar with Felix's work. Example, the golden statue that you may or may not know as Stephano. Yeah we do have fun with it but more and more recently they have been purposely shoehorned in there for the purpose of getting a reaction and as an after effect, pad out the video a bit. Same applies to the barrels and the flying bodies.

There are ways to have said statue and barrels in the game without the whole shoehorning and make it look like it fits, but that depends on the aesthetics of the story. For example. Barrels would be more suitable in a refinery or storage compartment then say...in the middle of the floor or on top of the stairs. It did bug me that the map was mainly a "this is for Pew please play it lawledge" and the experience didn't really feel right. No opening nor conclusion. Now if I can compare it to say...Through The Portal then you get an opening via the game its based of. You know what has happened and the aesthetic makes you want to explore and find the secrets, and also wraps up the story with a small stage of being pissed of (the ending).

Stories need to be thought out. Small drawings on graph paper, the story, the notes and how they can be more than a collectable. I would like to see a story with a full on custom monster and not some pin on to an existing monster like Dark Room (which is also in my superstar tag team for best stories ever!)

In conclusion, I do encourage fun maps but they need to have a purpose than being a cry for Cry or Pew or Morfar anyone else on the Machinima/GameStation network (or others). You can still have it but you need something else. Dark Room is a great example for breaking the atmosphere while still being a great laugh and I have yet to see another map that can also do that, and if there is, link me so I can give it a try.

Also, plus 1 for Extra Credits Big Grin

Lots of Love
LHudson
I agree with everything Hudson has just said - a very valid post by a very valid poster/video maker.

+1

Love of also Love,
Cry

02-01-2012, 03:28 AM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

I am not gonna quote text, but I am Elven I also approve this message!

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
02-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Find
xtron Offline

Fuck originality. I'm creating maps containing stuff that I like. I add jump scares and frustrating stuff because that's when I shit my pants. I know that not everyone think that Amnesia is scary anymore and whine because there's no map with "originality", with cool new stuff and an epic story. Sure, that can be a bonus but you shouldn't comment on how people like their game played.
Look at The Dark Descent, if that story wasn't built by Frictional games and would be posted today everyone would whine and say that it contains no "origianlity" etc.

And people saying "Monsters is getting so outdated", "scares is so unoriginal" and "people should stop creating monster with poor scares". Amnesia: The Dark Descet is a monster horror game. I know, hpl2 is a great engine that could be used in alot of genres but it was created for a HORROR game, horror game containing monsters.

One last thing, the "stop creating maps for pewdie". People love that guy, he's awesome, they want to show their gratitude to him by dedicating maps for him. Let people create maps for the people they like.

[Image: 44917299.jpg]Dubstep <3
02-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Find