Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Dead Space 3 Gameplay
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Dead Space 3 Gameplay

(10-03-2012, 05:42 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(10-03-2012, 05:38 PM)Sexbad Wrote: I can't believe people in this thread actually think that Dead Space has ever tried to be scary. It's not a survival horror; it's an action horror shooter. It's always been about fun--shooting *****y space skeletons in the fucking face and having entrails spew just everywhere, prioritizing a variety of weapons against a cast of very diverse enemies that require different mini-strategies. And it's god damn amazing.
You may want to re-phrase your first sentence a bit. Judging from all the marketing I'm seeing, they are TRYING to make it horror even when it's really not, and focused all on action primarily. That's one of my main gripes with how EA is advertising the Dead Space games as "false horror"
EA can do as they like, but that doesn't change the facts.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
10-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Website Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I wonder how many here actually played Dead Space (1) in surround sound world at night instead on laptop or crappy stereo speakers / headphones on broad daylight.
Amnesia or Penumbra aren't that scary either unless in proper circumstances.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012, 06:55 PM by Yuhaney.)
10-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Website Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(10-03-2012, 06:54 PM)Scraper Wrote: I wonder how many here actually played Dead Space (1) in surround sound world at night instead on laptop or crappy stereo speakers / headphones on broad daylight.
Great question. I've done the former (1st one, the night thing).

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Website Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Well, that is the way these games are meant to be played.

You'll have to have that feeling of being surrounded (hence 'surround sound') by all of these scary and disturbing sounds. No sounds nor music just means no horror. Well, sometimes no sounds or music makes great suspense. But it is more rare that this actually happens or works properly.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012, 07:03 PM by Yuhaney.)
10-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Website Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

True, true.

Games should be played the way they're supposed to be for "max" effect.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(10-03-2012, 06:54 PM)Scraper Wrote: I wonder how many here actually played Dead Space (1) in surround sound world at night instead on laptop or crappy stereo speakers / headphones on broad daylight.
Amnesia or Penumbra aren't that scary either unless in proper circumstances.
I first got Dead Space 1 for Xbox 360 2 years ago and had surround sound on full blast, threwblankets over my window (because it was daytime) and shut the bedroom door. Ergo, pitch black, full surround sound <3
10-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Fun Times.

10-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

For scary games I'd patiently await nightfall before playing. Why ruin my experience? Smile

As for X being scarier than Y, I guess it ultimately depends on the person. For me amnesia (especially penumbra which I played first) was scarier of the two. If I were to logically explain it I'd say it boils down to the "Fight or flight" mechanism. While playing Dead Space it was more fight, while amnesia was flight. Dead space was scary though - I enjoyed the atmosphere and environments a lot.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

10-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

It depends not just on the person.

10-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Website Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(10-03-2012, 07:24 PM)Acies Wrote: For scary games I'd patiently await nightfall before playing. Why ruin my experience? Smile

As for X being scarier than Y, I guess it ultimately depends on the person. For me amnesia (especially penumbra which I played first) was scarier of the two. If I were to logically explain it I'd say it boils down to the "Fight or flight" mechanism. While playing Dead Space it was more fight, while amnesia was flight. Dead space was scary though - I enjoyed the atmosphere and environments a lot.
I agree. I'd say the games have different forms of "fear". Amnesia has environmental "Dread" fear, where you don't want to continue because you dread what may be down that hallway. There are noises and you don't know what they are. Environmental fear.

Dead Space uses what I like to call "Stress" fear. You're at one end of a room with no ammo, reloading, as death comes straight at your face. The "Nononononono" effect of sitting there trying to defend yourself. Very well executed in DS2 when you're hanging from the train.

I'd have to say that I enjoy both. I'll look into DS3 for sure, but not for PC. I'm not fond of Origin and EA in general, but I like the Dead Space series.

10-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Find