Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Dead Space 3 Gameplay
eatbeavers Offline

Threads: 1
Dead Space 3 Gameplay

Cool cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB_OdxptWxE

A cup of ambition in the morning
10-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Find
rndmnwierd Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Dead Space 3 Gameplay

Holy bleepity bleep I want this game now!

I know my name is a mouthful, use rndy if you like!

The YouTube thing that I do
10-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Website Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

I might actually play this once it comes out. Interesting indeed.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Not cool. This is typical water soup mainstream casual action "horror" game.
They call it horror. Of course, this kind of superhero gameplay will just scare "real niggaz".
A reason why Penumbra & Amnesia are unique! They did it right.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012, 02:30 PM by Googolplex.)
10-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

(10-03-2012, 02:25 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Not cool. This is typical water soup mainstream casual action "horror" game.
They call it horror. Of course, this kind of superhero gameplay will just scare "real niggaz".
A reason why Penumbra & Amnesia are unique! They did it right.
At last I can fully agree with you.

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
10-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Dead Space was never using horror as a prime element. It focuses mostly on outright action with a setting with horror "aspects" in it. I always enjoyed Dead Space for that: Being an action title that has a neat setting.

Although I really dislike the fact that they keep advertising the horror as one of its main key points when it's not.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I liked Dead Space 1 because it was original. They kept an eerie, dark atmosphere at all times and you naturally felt safer in the light, meaning the dark meant danger. The soundtrack was classic and was used exceptionally. I remember hearing a necromorph behind me, no music was playing, but when I spun around, they played that orchestrated soundtrack as he hit me. I was terrified and almost threw my mouse. Dead Space 1 had a feeling that no other Dead Space sequel or prequel has matched. Now EA is forcing them to make it more "ACTION PACKED EXPLOOOSHERNS!", the feeling of fear is no longer there, and it's just turned into a third person shooter with disturbing monsters. Much like Halo and their Flood (not including the 1st/3rd person thing). It's creepy, but in no way are you afraid.

I respect Dead Space 1. It felt like love was put into it. Dead Space 2 had cool weapons and better controls (melee for example), but there were hardly any points I felt I needed to fearquit. I fearquit once in Dead Space 1 and that was when you go down the elevator in, I BELIEVE, the engine misson. As the elevator lowers, the Regenerator is standing in the doorway as you continue down. This guy already terrifies me. Then later in the mission, you have to go on that floor. I simply noped right out and came back the next day.

I'm a very strong Dead Space fan.. It's my favorite horror. It just sucks to see EA's typical tactics and its pain-in-the-ass Origin, and I won't be getting Dead Space 3.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM by Statyk.)
10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

In my opinion, I don't really care that much about the horror aspects of Dead Space. It's mostly always been about the gameplay for me. Dismembering Necromorphs was awesome as hell.

Sure I enjoy a good scary environment as much as anyone here, but I don't mind if I don't fearquit from it. As long as they HAVE that basic creepy premise in its game setting, and atmosphere, I'm all for it. Lacking a 100% faithful horror environment isn't really bad enough for me to turn away from it as long as the gameplay can hold its own.

That being said, I'm also dreading the day all "creepy" has been sucked out of the franchise, and it becomes super action fully.

EDIT:
Quote:I remember hearing a necromorph behind me, no music was playing, but when I spun around, they played that orchestrated soundtrack as he hit me. I was terrified and almost threw my mouse.
I loved when this happens so so much in a me gusta type of way.

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012, 05:00 PM by Kreekakon.)
10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
Heart  RE: Dead Space 3 Gameplay

I can't believe people in this thread actually think that Dead Space has ever tried to be scary. It's not a survival horror; it's an action horror shooter. It's always been about fun--shooting *****y space skeletons in the fucking face and having entrails spew just everywhere, prioritizing a variety of weapons against a cast of very diverse enemies that require different mini-strategies. And it's god damn amazing.

This video is much better than the other one they showed a while back, which showed bits of gunplay interspersed with videos of some guy yelling, "LOOK AT THIS DRILL; LOOK AT THIS GORE," ad nauseum. The narrator here is actually talking about design and inspiration and the little bits of the barely extant narrative that matter.

The only thing I dislike about Dead Space 3 so far is the emphasis on Isaac's character instead of the universe. The original had Isaac as a part of a much larger story that delved deep into a universe that had already been pretty well established in other media. The active narrative to help his crewmates and look for his girl was paper thin on its own. And even though his story ended there, enough idiots felt that he was in some way an actual character so he came back as Nathan Drake with psychic girlfriend troubles and went through a depthless soap opera in Dead Space 2. Now he's even more Nathan Drake and the story appears to be some space opera that revolves even more around him when there's all this cool Dead Space lore to exploit and expand.

Also the handle-turning looks really fucking stupid.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012, 05:41 PM by Sexbad.)
10-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(10-03-2012, 05:38 PM)Sexbad Wrote: I can't believe people in this thread actually think that Dead Space has ever tried to be scary. It's not a survival horror; it's an action horror shooter. It's always been about fun--shooting *****y space skeletons in the fucking face and having entrails spew just everywhere, prioritizing a variety of weapons against a cast of very diverse enemies that require different mini-strategies. And it's god damn amazing.
You may want to re-phrase your first sentence a bit. Judging from all the marketing I'm seeing, they are TRYING (In a marketing perspective) to make it horror even when it's really not, and focused all on action primarily. That's one of my main gripes with how EA is advertising the Dead Space games as "false horror"

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012, 06:00 PM by Kreekakon.)
10-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Find