Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What "Life Stats" would you want to know before dying?
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
RE: What "Life Stats" would you want to know before dying?

[Image: 50332_71980636405_7356187_n.jpg]

In relation to thread, if all the poop I ever pooped in my life was stacked into a wall three feet high and six inches thick, how far would it stretch.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 03:08 AM by Damascus.)
01-09-2013, 03:06 AM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

I BELIEVE I MUSTN'T UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY THESE PHILOSOPHICAL TERMS EMANATING FROM THE SPEECH OF nemesis567. MAY THOU ENLIGHTEN ME SO?

Just talk normal please.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
01-09-2013, 03:37 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(01-09-2013, 02:57 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: I'm not in pain. You refuse to accept things as they are. You avoid what of real we can get and live in an illusory state. I don't and I'm happy with it. That's the difference. The only painful thing I find is that no matter what you try, people that don't want to see shall never see. Understand the difference...It might be a start.

Quote:“Thoughts and intentions emerge from background causes of which we are unaware and over which we exert no conscious control,” Harris concludes. “We do not have the freedom we think we have.”

Source? Also, some terms need to be defined here before we carry on. Firstly: thoughts and intentions - as in instincts? I know that when someone is trying to kill me I have almost no choice whatsoever - fight or flight response takes over. That does not mean we are slaves to our subconscious - it's a self preservation mechanism. Secondly, the body has a natural disposition towards certain things that are potentially lethal. When you accidentally ingest a toxin the body makes a note of its taste, smell and appearance that it forces you to remember - so that you don't die (this is called taste aversion - most people get it during hangovers after really heavy drinking). Again, this does not mean you have no choice what you eat or drink. You tell your brain to tell your arms to lift themselves up and place the object in your hand in your mouth. The natural aversion to certain things is a way of keeping you alive, not keeping you in check. I don't complain about lack of social freedom because I'm not allowed to own anthrax. All of the pure aesthetics of life, such as music, non-toxic or non-allergy-inducing food, and the list goes on, are totally up to you. Personally, these are the things that matter to me, not the fact that my body prevents me from doing stupid shit that gets me killed.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 10:30 AM by Bridge.)
01-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(01-09-2013, 02:57 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: I'm not in pain. You refuse to accept things as they are. You avoid what of real we can get and live in an illusory state. I don't and I'm happy with it. That's the difference. The only painful thing I find is that no matter what you try, people that don't want to see shall never see. Understand the difference...It might be a start.

Quote:“Thoughts and intentions emerge from background causes of which we are unaware and over which we exert no conscious control,” Harris concludes. “We do not have the freedom we think we have.”

So if our conscious has already taken our choices why don't we just stop trying and let the conscious do it?
And I must say we have a freedom. My conscious concluded by reading your text, that if that's correct what you wrote, i have no reason to live, because I cannot do anything.
Does that mean that I'm supposed to not do anything?
Actually i could change it right now, by just committing suicide, but i'm not doing that because i don't want to.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM by FlawlessHappiness.)
01-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(01-09-2013, 10:16 AM)Bridge Wrote:

Source? Also, some terms need to be defined here before we carry on. Firstly: thoughts and intentions - as in instincts? I know that when someone is trying to kill me I have almost no choice whatsoever - fight or flight response takes over. That does not mean we are slaves to our subconscious - it's a self preservation mechanism. Secondly, the body has a natural disposition towards certain things that are potentially lethal. When you accidentally ingest a toxin the body makes a note of its taste, smell and appearance that it forces you to remember - so that you don't die (this is called taste aversion - most people get it during hangovers after really heavy drinking). Again, this does not mean you have no choice what you eat or drink. You tell your brain to tell your arms to lift themselves up and place the object in your hand in your mouth. The natural aversion to certain things is a way of keeping you alive, not keeping you in check. I don't complain about lack of social freedom because I'm not allowed to own anthrax. All of the pure aesthetics of life, such as music, non-toxic or non-allergy-inducing food, and the list goes on, are totally up to you. Personally, these are the things that matter to me, not the fact that my body prevents me from doing stupid shit that gets me killed.
I think that he's talking about some study on how active "decision-making" works. For example: you make a choice between A and B and before you "conciously realize it" a choice has already been made. I just remember reading this somewhere - I cannot confirm if it's a serious study or an "internet story". I believe the examples you made are related to something else. Ultimately I wouldn't worry about it too much (".. i have no reason to live, because I cannot do anything.") there's more to life than choices! Experiencing it for one Wink

As for the topic: That's hard. There's nothing I can think of which would be meaningful (or rewarding to know) enough to ask : D

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

01-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(01-09-2013, 03:00 AM)Kman Wrote: THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A SILLY AND STUPID THREAD WHERE YOU POST RANDOM BULLSHIT STATISTICS FOR A FEW LAUGHS, WE DON'T WANT YOUR SUPER SERIOUS PHILOSOPHICAL IDEAS ON THE MEANING OF LIFE AND HAPPINESS IN HERE, FUCK.

Exactly what I think.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
01-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Find
Posting Freak

(01-09-2013, 10:49 AM)Acies Wrote: As for the topic: That's hard. There's nothing I can think of which would be meaningful (or rewarding to know) enough to ask : D

How about something that would make you happy? Smile That's meaning enough to me

01-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Aaw now, stop replying to him, guys, you're just derailing the thread! Smile I know what study he's talking about and have a few things to say about it myself, but this thread is simply not the place for it. Let's make a new one if there are enough people who'd like to discuss the topic, 'kay?

On topic: I'd also like to know how many people were happy that I existed. Sounds a bit hippie-like maybe, but that would be a nice and positive thing to think about before dieing Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
01-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Find
Posting Freak

(01-09-2013, 11:43 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Aaw now, stop replying to him, guys, you're just derailing the thread! Smile I know what study he's talking about and have a few things to say about it myself, but this thread is simply not the place for it. Let's make a new one if there are enough people who'd like to discuss the topic, 'kay?

On topic: I'd also like to know how many people were happy that I existed. Sounds a bit hippie-like maybe, but that would be a nice and positive thing to think about before dieing Smile

Indeed Smile To die happy would be the best

01-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

I respectfully make my last post in this thread. There was never a point in living. You live because you want to. It's not like you had any purpose before. You might have though you had, but you hadn't. One's only purpose is to be happy.

And all I said can be wrong since anything can be wrong. There are several realities and you choose yours cause it's impossible, truly impossible to know or not what's real and what's not. We could live in an illusion as you could think off if you saw movies like "The Dark City".

Besides, your subconscious is still you... Just not the you you think.

Quote:“Free will is an illusion,” Sam Harris writes. “Our wills are simply not of our own making.”

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM by nemesis567.)
01-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Find