Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
"Wake" - Complete :)
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34
RE: "Wake" - Demo Uploaded

It's cool I've started redoing everything from scratch. Instead of going through a giant layout then refining, I'm going to just devote all my time to one room at a time. I won't even begin scripting until everything is perfect.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
09-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

I just tried your map, played until I got out of the bookcase area (that was all right?).

I liked the idea of you being in a dream and have to stop it from occurring again. It makes for a good setting to have some otherworldly effects and events such as all those big hanging corpses. That portal was a cool effect too. And it was nice to hear some voice acting.

But there were also loads of not so positive things about the map. Holes in the walls, objects placed through other things, flickering textures (comes from overlapping objects) and decals floating in mid air (I guess you removed an object that had a decal). Objects placed outside the map (you can see the halo of a torch or something outside the map through a wall in one room). Pillars with one side see-through. You used that book you can pull out a bit (from the puzzle in the normal game) like it was an ordinary book. And other things... It honestly makes me wonder if you even tried the map yourself.

The starting room had 10 spot lights overlapping and they were all shadow casting. That's a major slowdown. You could easily remove most of them and no one would notice. Look at this section of the light tutorial.

Working one room at a time and making sure there are no errors before you move on is a good idea in my opinion. You don't need to bring it up to full detail but at least make the basic stuff (like walls, ceiling, floor and furniture) look good. If you feel you need to plan out the level how about drawing a rough layout on paper before you start working in the Level editor? That's how FG did it Smile

I think that restarting is a good idea because there are too many problems already, but don't give up. It's a cool story idea and I would love to play it.
09-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

I completely agree Smile

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-28-2010, 07:42 PM)DamnNoHtml Wrote: It's cool I've started redoing everything from scratch. Instead of going through a giant layout then refining, I'm going to just devote all my time to one room at a time. I won't even begin scripting until everything is perfect.

I'm sorry to have sounded harsh, but it's really for the greater good.

Refning should be small things, like placing extra furniture, plants, etc., not reconstructing most of a room.

I think it's a good idea that you've started over. Focus one one room at a time, and make sure it looks right, and there's no holes, interlacing, etc.

Then after that, you can start placing furniture, etc.

You have something good going, you just need to work slower, and focus on one thing at a time.

[Image: 16455.png]
09-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

I've decided to finish an area, then just literally see what you all think. No point in progressing if something before it is lacking in quality.

Please be as harsh as possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrgiAqnaK8s

09-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Find
Pandemoneus Offline

Threads: 2
RE: "Wake" - Terrain Critiques Needed

Looks awesome. Tongue
2 things that I didn't like though:
- Light lens shining through walls and objects.
- At 00:30, you can see the light of the other room.

09-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Looks good!
09-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

(09-29-2010, 12:11 AM)Pandemoneus Wrote: Looks awesome. Tongue
2 things that I didn't like though:
- Light lens shining through walls and objects.

For some reason this only happens to me. It happens in the actual Amnesia story as well. Just a random bug. Recording it is a side effect :/

09-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-28-2010, 10:50 PM)DamnNoHtml Wrote: I've decided to finish an area, then just literally see what you all think. No point in progressing if something before it is lacking in quality.

Please be as harsh as possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrgiAqnaK8s

It looks great! Though, I'd really need a playable demo to make a real judge Tongue

[Image: 16455.png]
09-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Find
anzki Offline

Threads: 6
Thumbs Up  RE: "Wake" - Terrain Critiques Needed

Looking good! If the torch thing is indeed just for you.

P.S. I wonder what is (going to be) in that closet at end Tongue

[Image: 2qnr5av.png]
09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Find