Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
"Wake" - Complete :)
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34
"Wake" - Complete :)

Defy your recurring nightmare.
Extract into your custom_stories folder.

http://preview.filebox.me/files/h7a75skc...rsion1.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?e2aooed8cx4co3y

CHANGELOG
- 10/4/10 - First version released.

9 Minute Walkthrough
(Please actually try to beat the game yourself. If you zing by like I do here, you turn a 30-50 minute game into a 9 minute one.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQESbXTRu...tube_gdata

SEQUEL:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4928.html

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2010, 10:11 PM by DamnNoHtml.)
09-23-2010, 02:16 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: "Wake" - a Very High Quality Story

Very neat-looking. I hope to see more, especially since so much of the design already looks unique.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-23-2010, 02:28 AM
Website Find
gosseyn Offline

Threads: 7

Why don't you post in game screens ?
09-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Find
sTiKy Offline

Threads: 1

Consider that only the simple "test" stories have been released so far. Like your own, other more advanced stories will be released as time goes by each out classing the last.
09-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

Gonna be picky here if you're after quality but, hopefully, performance as well.

First what I like to suggest is to re-adjust the solar rays. They're going right through the bricks below the window in the second screenshot for example, where they should normally stop as soon they hit an object. So either make them really short (If that works.) or change their angle.

Also, be careful with how many shadow casting spotlights you use, it can really stress the computer a lot of it is overdone, I suggest reading the Wiki about properly using the lights.

Last but not least, in my opinion the carpets in the last image are a bit overdone, I'd say it is better looking to lay a few less, but make them larger, it would just look better.

Otherwise, nicely done, looks promising.
09-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Find
Placeable Offline

Threads: 2

From what I can see on the screens it looks very nice. But as above poster mentioned you should take a few things into consideration. Instead of using so many carpets scale just a few instead.

As for scripting do you have any experience with that or will you try and do without or as little as possible?

I myself am working on a small story but the building process is really going slow for me and I do prefer scripting, if you want a hand with that send me a PM.
09-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

(09-23-2010, 02:35 PM)Placeable Wrote: I myself am working on a small story but the building process is really going slow for me and I do prefer scripting, if you want a hand with that send me a PM.

Oh? Hm, I'm a really perfectionistic builder, but can't script even if it would be to save my life, perhaps we should have a chat. Tongue
09-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Find
gosseyn Offline

Threads: 7

(09-23-2010, 02:35 PM)Placeable Wrote: From what I can see on the screens it looks very nice. But as above poster mentioned you should take a few things into consideration. Instead of using so many carpets scale just a few instead.

As for scripting do you have any experience with that or will you try and do without or as little as possible?

I myself am working on a small story but the building process is really going slow for me and I do prefer scripting, if you want a hand with that send me a PM.

well, for me it's the contrary, i am pretty good at level design, but there are more complicated scripting things that i want to do, and this is what is slowing me down. When i get tired of level design, i pick another area of my map to design, or i do scripting tests. But i have all the time in the world, it is not that urgent :-)
09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Find
Placeable Offline

Threads: 2

Hionimi & gosseyn send me a PM if you have any project that you might want to discuss. Naturally I would only be able to work on one project at a time, well that depends on what the project actually is.

A little bit about me: I am a Game Programming Student, 22 years old, from Sweden. Mostly capable of C++, but also a lot of ActionScript 3.0 and Java. Learning the Amnesia Scripting Language wasn't too difficult for me.

However building areas is a tedious process, at least for me, and I struggle hours just to make a room >_> And lets not get into light details, I have no sense for that whatsoever. But I feel fairly confident with the HPL2 Editor's layout and a collaboration wouldn't be an issue for me.

If you're interested contact me Smile
09-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

(09-23-2010, 02:20 PM)Hionimi Wrote: Gonna be picky here if you're after quality but, hopefully, performance as well.

First what I like to suggest is to re-adjust the solar rays. They're going right through the bricks below the window in the second screenshot for example, where they should normally stop as soon they hit an object. So either make them really short (If that works.) or change their angle.

Also, be careful with how many shadow casting spotlights you use, it can really stress the computer a lot of it is overdone, I suggest reading the Wiki about properly using the lights.

Last but not least, in my opinion the carpets in the last image are a bit overdone, I'd say it is better looking to lay a few less, but make them larger, it would just look better.

Otherwise, nicely done, looks promising.

Thanks for the useful criticisms. I've adjusted the angle of the Billboards as you said.

As far as a bunch of shadowcasts, I don't use very many at all actually. The "Gobo" feature creates an illusion of way more shadows than actually exist.

Carpets yeah, dumb idea to put a bunch of 4v4 squares lol Smile

-----

As far as scripting goes, I am a Computer Science major with C++ experience. The HPL2 Engine is extremely similar, so I am right at home. Smile

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
09-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Find