Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Oculus Rift Support
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Oculus Rift Support

(03-21-2013, 07:28 PM)GrixM Wrote:
(03-21-2013, 01:50 PM)Adrianis Wrote: No one even has the early dev kit yet, so we can't make calls on how well it'll work, short-sighted or otherwise. Cautious optimism - designing a game around the use of the Rift now would be a huge risk, it is still possible for it to fail.

People have received their dev kits including several famous developers such as Valve and notch, and some very early individual backers.

Ok fair enough, I take that back, thanks. I think that its a small enough group that the rest of the point still stands.

03-22-2013, 12:37 AM
Find
sethdonut Offline

Threads: 0

(03-21-2013, 06:29 PM)J.R.S.Storch Wrote: I was able to try the VR headset during Quakecon 2012. There is almost no chance that this piece of technology will fail. It can't. One must only experience it to realize that.

I haven't even tried it yet and, strangely, I already feel this way.
I'm optimistic, ya know?

If there are people out there with the DIY sensibilities as the creator of the Oculus, then no doubt an unofficial patch will get released for Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs if Frictional/thechineseroom decide fully against official support.
03-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

From what I have seen (I have not tried it) oculus seems awesome. I definately think that it would be fitting for Amnesia.

I do not think we will see oculus support for "A machine for pigs" officially/unofficially. It's possible that it will be included in HPL3 - the next engine frictional games are working on. I believe frictional games are looking forward, spending their energy on creating their next engine. I do not believe they want to go back into something they are "stepping away from" to add support for oculus rift. Is there an economic profit to be made from that?

Unofficially creating support for it wouldn't work well, as the "oculus view" would be working in coordination with the mouse movement; you are forced to look in the direction of interaction (running, spinning a valve etc). To get the maximum enjoyability you need the "player view" to be a "separate camera" tied to the occulus rift - ergo you have the possibility to look over your shoulder as you run away.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

03-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Find
GrixM Offline

Threads: 2

Here's another demo showing not only the oculus rift, but also the razer hydra controllers. It looks similar to the HPL engine way of interacting with objects, only so much more natural because you're actually moving your hands instead of the mouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07IwxUD8N8E

And another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...Uoh01iukus
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2013, 11:48 AM by GrixM.)
03-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I have to say with the additions of hand control this is a lot more convincing, the main thing that I thought was dumb before was the fact that the screen was the only part of the game you controlled with your body, but with more control like this I could actually see it being a really cool experience.

Posting Freak
03-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Website Find
trens Offline

Threads: 1

So I will be getting my Devkit in the coming weeks, order #1909, and I will let you guys know how Amnesia is. Smile I haven't finished the game, you know why, it has scared the shit out of me, and I couldn't finish it. I basically couldn't get very far into it, but for you guys I will definitely try it and let you know how heavy my pants get.

Ohh and hi.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013, 05:39 AM by trens.)
04-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I uh, doesn't the support need to be built into the actuall game? I highly doubt you can smack it on and it'll just work with anything?
04-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Find
EnDash Offline

Threads: 2

I will be one of the people who will buy the oculus as soon as it gets out Heart

and i think it can work well with a mouse, it won't be as good as a controller but think about penumbra or amnesia where the camera turns from oculus and the mouse is in free hand mode moving all around the screen picking stuff. you could pick something up with the mouse and rotate your head at the same time.

and the oculus shouldn't be a driving force for a machine for pigs. but i think it's a good idea to use it as a tool for immersion. like an add on, it isn't required but if you have it it adds to the experience.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013, 04:11 PM by EnDash.)
04-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Find
trens Offline

Threads: 1

(04-04-2013, 03:48 PM)Traggey Wrote: I uh, doesn't the support need to be built into the actuall game? I highly doubt you can smack it on and it'll just work with anything?

No it does not. There is work to be done, yes, but there are ways to get it to work, without frictional doing anything.
04-05-2013, 05:02 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

If Frictional gonna implement this in some other game (NOT AAMFP, it's almost done!), they have to consider the price. There should be a setting where you can enable/disable Oculus.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-05-2013, 05:08 AM
Find