Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: What is your favorite game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Ok, if we're going to have an off topic discussion, then why not tell everyone what your favorite games are, besides Penumbra, and what you like about it. I don't really have much to add here myself, because I don't go looking to play a lot of games, but it seems like if we talk about what makes a game good then we will have someplace to start thinking about how Penumbra could be improved, or what would make a good mod.

I'm especially interested in how other games use features that I've only seen in Penumbra, like physics and an inventory screen in a game with a first person viewpoint. I'd like to hear about games with really challenging puzzles too.

I mostly play RPGs and TBSs.

From the first genre, the Fallout series is my definite favourite, along with Arcanum. I like the open-ended nature of the games, the ability to choose what I do and where I go, rather than having to follow a linear plot like in so many other games. After all, it's a role-playing game and if I want to play a homicidal maniac or a dirty thief, I should be able to. It's no fun being the hero all the time.
The Geneforge series is another one that shines in this regard. And it's by an indie developer group as well (Spiderweb Software), so similar to Penumbra in a way.

Strategy games is my second favourite genre, and I like turn-based strategies more than real-time, because the latter tend to rely more on the twitchiness of your mouse finger, rather than actual strategic planning. Age of Wonders is my definite favourite here, and to a somewhat lesser extent its sequels as well.

I've also played the occasional first-person shooter, like Serious Sam, but these are just time-fillers when I have a week's worth of evenings with little to do. I just play through them once and uninstall, then pick them up again a year or so later.

Two games that I'm definately looking forward to, are Spore and Overlord. The first is simply going to be the most awesome game ever, and the second is an adventure game where you're the evil overlord fighting against foolhardy heroes to realise your plans of world domination.

Should be a fun year ahead.

My favours: Hitman (Codename 47, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Hitman: Contracts, Hitman: Blood Money), Baldur's Gate (Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn + Throne of Bhaal). I must name too Half-Life and Arx Fatalis. I'd like to try Max Payne but it crashes on my mech from some reason.

If you are looking for adventure, exploration and puzzles and the elements characteristic for adventures: inventory, chemsitry, physics relating weapons and movement, and realistic effects etc. I'll name Arx Fatalis (which is very sweet and friendly, less realistic, but still has considerable level of brutality, mystery and adrenaline), Morrowind (if you're not fan, it will be indeed boring) and Oblivion (this one ist sequel of morrowind, but much more interesting. Physics present, scary elements and adrenaline too. Bad for some people would be it has much much more other elements). More on the links I gave. Horror 1st person shoter I'll name would be Clive Barker's Undying. Not that scary at all...

As far as I know, physics, realistic graphics and scary monsters would be available in one still not (or yes?) released game, Crysis. Video clip with engine demonstration and few seconds with one of the monsters (which is worth seeing and hearing) would be here:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_13104.shtml

If you would like to have some more entertainment in the spirit of penumbra, you would probably like to try this one out:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/189227 ( click on "Play this game" )

I'd have to say The Gothic series is my favorite. I get alot of play out of System Shock 2, and Call of duty 2 though. I've got over 300hrs into Call of duty 2... crazy how long you can spend in one game.

Well.. My all time favorite was Half life (1 And 2 Would be tied), episode one was a little short.. but it was still good. (HDR BABY!)
3rd, would probably be F.E.A.R
4th, Penumbra.. demo... it was a game that wasnt just shoot shoot run... shoot.. run.. but there were still a few very small things i disliked (Such as not being to hit those creatures with boxes and such) (Also.. the ending Sad )
5th, Brothers in arms Earned in blood. it was a good Tactical game.. and i loved how it was so realistic... like 2 hits and your dead.... very hard to aim.. no crosshair.. etc
6th.. hmmmmm......... probably Operation flashpoint, its an old game, but there are still billions of mods out there.. (INCLUDING ZOMBIES!) which make good fun for Coop lan play.
7th.. Doom 3, yeah i know it was repetitive, but with all the graphics mods out there..... it made it look a lot less plasticy and more pretty, and if you really get into the story... its not too bad (Of course, i also got an alternate skin for the IMP. cause you see them all the time and they are so boring looking.. Grey)
8th Splinter cell series. I love to sneak around and take guys as hostage, or knife em in the back
9th Jedi knight games. they were some of the best Star wars games IMO.
10. Serious Sam. This game was also loads of fun to play coop.

my favourite game is Earth 2160, the best RTS game ever! Big Grin

[Image: edcampaign0023dw.jpg]

[Image: inse0320050021lf.jpg]

[Image: inse0320050120vx.jpg]

Tongue

My only favorite game and has always been is Final Fantasy VII. Yeah, lol, I'm an old school RPG gamer.

But ofcourse I play new games as well, and not only RPG but all different types.

Newest games played would be...Hitman: Blood Money, Magna Carta and Blockland (homemade online Lego game, lol).

Most played games right now: Soul Blazer (SNES) and Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

Most played game ever: Final Fantasy VII (Played trough and taken everything aproximitly 54 times)

I'm also open for any suggestions of cool games, any kind as long as the gameplay is fun.

I don't think Final Fantasy counts as "old school RPG." Those would be the ones that you played with paper and polyhedron dice before most people could afford computers, back when the days when modems were a rare periphrial device. Then there was Zork, Then there was Dragon Warrior on Nintendo, Gauntlet and then various Zelda games.

I'm not at all surprised to find someone else who'se playing Super Mario Bros 3 though. Its probably one of the most awesome video games of all time.
Legacy of kain series
has the best storie ever made and i played all 5 series.. gameplay not that good.. riddels very hard... but as much as its frasturating.. the story just keeps me drivin for more

Starcraft is the best then silent hill and then penumbra Big Grin my favorites games
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18