Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Are Amnesia players adults or teens?
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Are Amnesia players adults or teens?

(04-06-2013, 06:59 PM)Dogfood Wrote: im 3 and amnesia is scary
You are a liar! Dogs can't play games.

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
04-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Website Find
Sarcophagus Offline

Threads: 8

(04-06-2013, 07:07 PM)Gharren Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 06:59 PM)Dogfood Wrote: im 3 and amnesia is scary
You are a liar! Dogs can't play games.

[Image: Computer-Dog-023.jpg]

Species come and go, but the Earth stands forever fast.
04-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(04-06-2013, 05:48 PM)Sarcophagus Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 04:19 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 07:21 AM)Sarcophagus Wrote: Dude, who said that I was talking about you?

And how can a game give you nightmares? I mean.. Am I really the only one who never had problems with any horror movie or game?

It's possible you don't want to be scared and therefore don't let yourself. If you think that makes you cool, then you should know that almost everyone here agrees that not being scared is a missed opportunity, as well as usually being the player's fault. Unless waking up in a strange castle with no memory of who you are and having to evade monsters is a normal thing for you, I don't see how you can not be scared - because it is scary.

I was not talking about being scared, I was talking about nightmares man

Even so, it is not that surprising. After only 30 seconds of looking at an image your brain stores a very vivid copy of that same image that you can peruse for around 5-10 minutes. Now imagine looking at a collection of horrifying images, coupled with feelings of intense emotional stress for hours right before bed. Those images are going to be literally burned into your inner eye the entire night. Since the brain is designed to remember things that are threatening, seeing those images constantly reminds the brain of what you felt when you saw them. Ergo, the game continues even after you stop playing it. It doesn't really matter if you have an actual nightmare, not being able to sleep due to fear is a metaphorical nightmare in and of itself.
04-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Find
Sarcophagus Offline

(04-06-2013, 07:11 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 05:48 PM)Sarcophagus Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 04:19 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 07:21 AM)Sarcophagus Wrote: Dude, who said that I was talking about you?

And how can a game give you nightmares? I mean.. Am I really the only one who never had problems with any horror movie or game?

It's possible you don't want to be scared and therefore don't let yourself. If you think that makes you cool, then you should know that almost everyone here agrees that not being scared is a missed opportunity, as well as usually being the player's fault. Unless waking up in a strange castle with no memory of who you are and having to evade monsters is a normal thing for you, I don't see how you can not be scared - because it is scary.

I was not talking about being scared, I was talking about nightmares man

Even so, it is not that surprising. After only 30 seconds of looking at an image your brain stores a very vivid copy of that same image that you can peruse for around 5-10 minutes. Now imagine looking at a collection of horrifying images, coupled with feelings of intense emotional stress for hours right before bed. Those images are going to be literally burned into your inner eye the entire night. Since the brain is designed to remember things that are threatening, seeing those images constantly reminds the brain of what you felt when you saw them. Ergo, the game continues even after you stop playing it. It doesn't really matter if you have an actual nightmare, not being able to sleep due to fear is a metaphorical nightmare in and of itself.

I watched a lot of horror movies late in the night (real horror movies not some boring bullshit) but never had nightmares after

04-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

The only thing I can do is give you a biological explanation as to how people can get nightmares from playing games. If you don't, good for you. I can't contradict you, so what do you want me to say?
04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Find
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1

(04-06-2013, 07:11 PM)Bridge Wrote: Even so, it is not that surprising. After only 30 seconds of looking at an image your brain stores a very vivid copy of that same image that you can peruse for around 5-10 minutes. Now imagine looking at a collection of horrifying images, coupled with feelings of intense emotional stress for hours right before bed. Those images are going to be literally burned into your inner eye the entire night. Since the brain is designed to remember things that are threatening, seeing those images constantly reminds the brain of what you felt when you saw them. Ergo, the game continues even after you stop playing it. It doesn't really matter if you have an actual nightmare, not being able to sleep due to fear is a metaphorical nightmare in and of itself.

Wow, this was very educational. Big Grin

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2013, 08:14 PM by Gharren.)
04-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(04-06-2013, 07:16 PM)Sarcophagus Wrote: I watched a lot of horror movies late in the night (real horror movies not some boring bullshit) but never had nightmares after
Hmm.. No nightmares. But did you ever cry after a scary movie/game?

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Find
Sarcophagus Offline

(04-06-2013, 08:31 PM)Acies Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 07:16 PM)Sarcophagus Wrote: I watched a lot of horror movies late in the night (real horror movies not some boring bullshit) but never had nightmares after

Why would I cry lol, no,never.

(04-06-2013, 09:50 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 12:06 PM)Sarcophagus Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 11:59 AM)Robosprog Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 07:09 AM)Sarcophagus Wrote: Most of the kids who play Amnesia are like : "Yea so I played a few minutes then I was scared to death and I deleted the game and after that I went to youtube and wrote a comment on an Amnesia video about how scared I was"

Or you're making bullshit up and generalizing, where is the evidence for this statement?

The evidence is on the Amnesia videos (if you want to dig the comments) and you know it's true so don't bullshit with me.
And what I said it was just an example, I don't think that anybody wrote the exact same thing : "Yea so I played a few minutes then I was scared to death and I deleted the game and after that I went to youtube and wrote a comment on an Amnesia video about how scared I was"

(04-06-2013, 12:04 PM)Adny Wrote: robo y u always get so buttmad whenever anyone says anything negative about younger folk.

Because he is bruce-fucking-lee lol

Have you ever heard of the vocal minority? I'll assume you haven't and explain the basics.

Effectively, with every group that plays a game, or interacts with a medium there is a usually, (99% of the time) a small group of people who are very vocal in their opinions - a great example of this is World of Warcraft, there are not eleven million people on the forums, there are around a few hundred thousand at most, most likely closer to fifty - hundred thousand that are very vocal in their beliefs and actions. You see this very frequently with hundreds going to QQ on the forums after every patch. Does this mean every member of WoW is a QQer? No, it means that a certain vocal minority are. You have similar cases with football club fans (I was at a game today, hence why I haven't been able to reply) where the vast majority will watch the game, usually quiet and enjoy it - then you will get around 10-20% of the fans, usually in one corner/stand chanting and being hooligans, the vocal minority.

Now, pewdiepie has -six million- subscribers, yet I do not believe he has even a million comments on any of his videos, this is because the people commenting are the vocal minority, and thus do not reflect the majority opinion or action of his fans. I can gurantee you that your evidence would be laughed out of any court, any debate in the world, because you are only looking at the vocal minority, and you generalize them as an entire audience. Now, I will ask again:
Where is your evidence?

Dude, too much to read and I didn't really understand what you mean.
I think you are taking this subject too far.
You can't do anything about those young kids Lee,just wait and see the results in a few years.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013, 06:49 AM by Sarcophagus.)
04-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Website Find
Sarcophagus Offline

(04-07-2013, 08:26 AM)Robosprog Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 06:35 AM)Sarcophagus Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 08:31 PM)Acies Wrote:

Why would I cry lol, no,never.

(04-06-2013, 09:50 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 12:06 PM)Sarcophagus Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 11:59 AM)Robosprog Wrote: Or you're making bullshit up and generalizing, where is the evidence for this statement?

The evidence is on the Amnesia videos (if you want to dig the comments) and you know it's true so don't bullshit with me.
And what I said it was just an example, I don't think that anybody wrote the exact same thing : "Yea so I played a few minutes then I was scared to death and I deleted the game and after that I went to youtube and wrote a comment on an Amnesia video about how scared I was"

(04-06-2013, 12:04 PM)Adny Wrote: robo y u always get so buttmad whenever anyone says anything negative about younger folk.

Because he is bruce-fucking-lee lol

Have you ever heard of the vocal minority? I'll assume you haven't and explain the basics.

Effectively, with every group that plays a game, or interacts with a medium there is a usually, (99% of the time) a small group of people who are very vocal in their opinions - a great example of this is World of Warcraft, there are not eleven million people on the forums, there are around a few hundred thousand at most, most likely closer to fifty - hundred thousand that are very vocal in their beliefs and actions. You see this very frequently with hundreds going to QQ on the forums after every patch. Does this mean every member of WoW is a QQer? No, it means that a certain vocal minority are. You have similar cases with football club fans (I was at a game today, hence why I haven't been able to reply) where the vast majority will watch the game, usually quiet and enjoy it - then you will get around 10-20% of the fans, usually in one corner/stand chanting and being hooligans, the vocal minority.

Now, pewdiepie has -six million- subscribers, yet I do not believe he has even a million comments on any of his videos, this is because the people commenting are the vocal minority, and thus do not reflect the majority opinion or action of his fans. I can gurantee you that your evidence would be laughed out of any court, any debate in the world, because you are only looking at the vocal minority, and you generalize them as an entire audience. Now, I will ask again:
Where is your evidence?

Dude, too much to read and I didn't really understand what you mean.
I think you are taking this subject too far.
You can't do anything about those young kids Lee,just wait and see the results in a few years.

How is this too far? You're generalizing, and being ageist, I respond to you twice and when you have no more evidence to offer "too much to read and I didn't really understand what you mean. I think you are taking this subject too far."

You're just admitting you have no evidence basically, when I actually contradict what you had called evidence, dude, just admit you're wrong to generalize.

The evidence is on the amnesia videos, just go and dig up comments and see, there are a lot of comments where they say that they couldn't play the game because they were scared and stuff like that.
And not only on youtube : http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/ar...27978.html
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/devosio...red/61407/
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/978772-am...t/62718429

and if you do a little search you could find more

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013, 09:05 AM by Sarcophagus.)
04-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

• A minority in this case is a group of people whose views differ from the majority.
  • Being vocal means to voice said views in a conspicuous way.
  • Put the two together and you have a …
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013, 02:52 PM by Bridge.)
04-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Find