Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Sexuality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
You don't pick an choose who you get turned on to. If you find the opposite sex attractive, then you are heterosexual, if you find your own sex attractive then you are homosexual, and if you like both then you are bisexual (and the same applies to whatever sexuality there is). I think you have a very different conceptualization on sexuality than the rest of us, because your sexuality is who you tun on to and not who you love, I love my best friend and I would friggin' die for him, but that doesn't make me homosexual.
(06-18-2012, 07:03 PM)Robosprog Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2012, 06:37 PM)Juby Wrote: [ -> ]There is a such thing as natural talent, but I'm not sure I would describe it in sexuality. It sounds awkward when you apply that word into sex. Being whatever sexuality you are is indeed a choice; saying it is not would be suggesting somebody will chop your head off and put it in somebody's salad if you aren't. Some people just get turned on with the same gender naturally, but being a sexuality is a decision. In the end, you are the one deciding who you want to passionately love.

Now I want to go off-topic and discuss talent. Natural talent best relates to sports; a talent is a special natural ability and a capacity for achievement or success. Many think of being talented as just the big-shot ultimate player, but really talent does not equal a good player at all. A talent suggests an aptitude in a certain area. "Talented" people can perfect their skills and learn new things a lot easier than the average Joe, but that still does not mean that they are good. This may sound weird, but you can be talented in sex as well as anything.
Natural talent doesn't exist, it's an illusion, seriously. It's something you get told at school to make you feel better and make you think you might have a chance of being famous.
If you consider genes and your basic skeletal and muscular architecture to be natural talent then there is such a thing as natural talent. But he is right that nobody becomes great because of natural talent alone. In fact some of the greatest musicians ever started out with literally none.
(06-18-2012, 06:37 PM)Juby Wrote: [ -> ]There is a such thing as natural talent, but I'm not sure I would describe it in sexuality. It sounds awkward when you apply that word into sex. Being whatever sexuality you are is indeed a choice; saying it is not would be suggesting somebody will chop your head off and put it in somebody's salad if you aren't. Some people just get turned on with the same gender naturally, but being a sexuality is a decision. In the end, you are the one deciding who you want to passionately love.

Now I want to go off-topic and discuss talent. Natural talent best relates to sports; a talent is a special natural ability and a capacity for achievement or success. Many think of being talented as just the big-shot ultimate player, but really talent does not equal a good player at all. A talent suggests an aptitude in a certain area. "Talented" people can perfect their skills and learn new things a lot easier than the average Joe, but that still does not mean that they are good. This may sound weird, but you can be talented in sex as well as anything.
Natural talent doesn't exist, it's an illusion, seriously. It's something you get told at school to make you feel better and make you think you might have a chance of being famous.
thats not entirely true. Some things in people come from right at their conception in the mother's womb. for example the personality, it is known that if the mother listens whit regularly to calm music the child will be a calmer person whit the future. the opposite happens whit violent music as well. its not a "Natural" "talent" per say but many things are already defining the child that are beyond his control. now of course that some develops further some of their characteristics and some don't. people aren't born as equals. its a fact and no matter how much we deny it, it still exists.

but have the impression i know what you mean. in schools teachers usually say to children that someone haves a "special" talent for something. in the way they say it yes it is wrong. for as much they say we are good at something there is usually someone better at it.
(06-18-2012, 09:35 PM)Danarogon Wrote: [ -> ]

thats not entirely true. Some things in people come from right at their conception in the mother's womb. for example the personality, it is known that if the mother listens whit regularly to calm music the child will be a calmer person whit the future. the opposite happens whit violent music as well. its not a "Natural" "talent" per say but many things are already defining the child that are beyond his control. now of course that some develops further some of their characteristics and some don't. people aren't born as equals. its a fact and no matter how much we deny it, it still exists.

but have the impression i know what you mean. in schools teachers usually say to children that someone haves a "special" talent for something. in the way they say it yes it is wrong. for as much they say we are good at something there is usually someone better at it.
You kinda contradict yourself there, because if there were no such thing as talent then everyone would be the same, because noone is 'particularly' good at anything. Then everyone would be a football pro and a master chef, which is untrue. And just like you say, noone kid is born the same as the other, and thus they possess different 'talents'.

I think you guys mystify the word a bit. Talent, is nothing more than a natural deftness based on your personal traits such as physique, intelligence, senses etc. Which are determent by genes.
you guys need to chill.
(06-18-2012, 10:06 PM)nackidno Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2012, 09:35 PM)Danarogon Wrote: [ -> ]

You kinda contradict yourself there, because if there were no such thing as talent then everyone would be the same, because noone is 'particularly' good at anything. Then everyone would be a football pro and a master chef, which is untrue. And just like you say, noone kid is born the same as the other, and thus they possess different 'talents'.

I think you guys mystify the word a bit. Talent, is nothing more than a natural deftness based on your personal traits such as physique, intelligence, senses etc. Which are determent by genes.
Talent != skill. Mastery comes through many many many hours of practice and refining skills , whereas talent is something you do not have to work on much because you can instinctively do it. It's debatable whether such a thing actually exists, because everything comes from somewhere. I consider myself a pretty adequate drawer and almost everyone that's seen my drawings say I have talent, but in reality it is because I spent the greater part of my childhood sitting around drawing stuff around me and pausing Disney movies to draw characters. Some people may not know that their so-called talents actually stem from a huge amount of practice that they either forgot or misinterpreted.
(06-18-2012, 06:52 PM)nackidno Wrote: [ -> ]You don't pick an choose who you get turned on to. If you find the opposite sex attractive, then you are heterosexual, if you find your own sex attractive then you are homosexual, and if you like both then you are bisexual (and the same applies to whatever sexuality there is). I think you have a very different conceptualization on sexuality than the rest of us, because your sexuality is who you tun on to and not who you love, I love my best friend and I would friggin' die for him, but that doesn't make me homosexual.

I did say getting turned on by certain sexes was not in your control. Sexuality to me is involvement in sexual activity. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way: if you have sex with the same gender, you're homosexual, etc. If that is the case, then I am therefore led to believe to become a certain sexuality is a choice. This is what I think.

(06-18-2012, 10:15 PM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]Talent != skill. Mastery comes through many many many hours of practice and refining skills , whereas talent is something you do not have to work on much because you can instinctively do it. It's debatable whether such a thing actually exists, because everything comes from somewhere. I consider myself a pretty adequate drawer and almost everyone that's seen my drawings say I have talent, but in reality it is because I spent the greater part of my childhood sitting around drawing stuff around me and pausing Disney movies to draw characters. Some people may not know that their so-called talents actually stem from a huge amount of practice that they either forgot or misinterpreted.

To a reiterate previous statement, talent is a special natural ability or aptitude for said ability. When people say you got talent, they acknowledge that you either have had a special ability (such as a contortionist) or spent time to earn that skill
(06-18-2012, 10:59 PM)Juby Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2012, 06:52 PM)nackidno Wrote: [ -> ]You don't pick an choose who you get turned on to. If you find the opposite sex attractive, then you are heterosexual, if you find your own sex attractive then you are homosexual, and if you like both then you are bisexual (and the same applies to whatever sexuality there is). I think you have a very different conceptualization on sexuality than the rest of us, because your sexuality is who you tun on to and not who you love, I love my best friend and I would friggin' die for him, but that doesn't make me homosexual.

I did say getting turned on by certain sexes was not in your control. Sexuality to me is involvement in sexual activity. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way: if you have sex with the same gender, you're homosexual, etc. If that is the case, then I am therefore led to believe to become a certain sexuality is a choice. This is what I think.
Interesting opinion (no, really), but it is not entirely logical. I don't want to twist your words, but by your definition of sexuality, homosexual virgins that get raped by the opposite sex are heterosexual. If you are turned on by a certain gender, then it is not unrealistic to pursue sex with that gender. So it really is a nonsequitur that sexuality=choice because celibacy!=confirmation. If you think about a word during conversation, then it is what you want to say. Just because you didn't actually say it doesn't mean the word changed. Y'know?
(06-18-2012, 10:59 PM)Juby Wrote: [ -> ]I did say getting turned on by certain sexes was not in your control. Sexuality to me is involvement in sexual activity. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way: if you have sex with the same gender, you're homosexual, etc. If that is the case, then I am therefore led to believe to become a certain sexuality is a choice. This is what I think.
No matter what you think, but this is simply wrong. You can have sex with the opposite gender and still be homosexual. You can't alter your sexuality, therefore it's not a choice. It's simple as that.
If sexuality would be a choice, how could anyone choose to be a homosexual, with all the biases, discrimination and problems in social life?

Greetings,
Gharren
Even if sexuality were a choice, who are we to deny an individual this choice?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30