Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: What would you like to see from Frictional next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
JRPG: http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/...-tidus.jpg
Silent Hill: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/154...ouglas.jpg and http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/719..._harry.jpg

On topic, although the few enemy types worked alright for Penumbra and Amnesia, I would like to see some more variety in bestiary in the next game. A flying creature means you have to distrust windows as well as doors.
Hmm... some dude from our russian forums mentioned reasonable things. Since the Penumbra, that was the first game which introduced such interactivity in quest/adventure genre, there was no real progress in Amnesia. We can interatc with gameworld and it's objects, right, but nothing new. Move objects? Solve physical puzzles? We saw that in Penumbra. Amnesia has nothing new to offer.

But the point is... we all know that next game from Frics gonna be cross-platform. Consoles... sigh. How do you see such interactivity as in Penumbra/Amnesia on consoles? No, honestly? There is a lot pf physical puzzles, yes, but they are not even so close by dynamics/live gameplay to Penumbra. Not even talking about the controls. So, I'm afraid that this wonderful interactive system will be even reduced more, because casuals (90% console sales) don't like "hard games".

This is all sad.
(10-31-2010, 07:11 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: [ -> ]JRPG: http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/...-tidus.jpg
Silent Hill: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/154...ouglas.jpg and http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/719..._harry.jpg

On topic, although the few enemy types worked alright for Penumbra and Amnesia, I would like to see some more variety in bestiary in the next game. A flying creature means you have to distrust windows as well as doors.

http://www.silenthillheaven.com/Site/SH4..._CH1-B.jpg
http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/G..._image.jpg

This is more what I was talking about. To say there is no similarity in art styles is willfully obtuse, although you clearly demonstrated there are examples of characters in silent hill that don't look like that. I'm surprised.

I still maintain my original point that they aren't scary at all.
Actually, SH4 with Henry that you pictured is the only one which made me scream like a girl. SH3 had the oppressive scary mood that Amnesia is dripping with, I had to stop playing because I did not want to continue from fear. The scariest thing with SH1 is fighting the controls, but SH2 has plenty to be afraid of in Pyramid Head (pre-Hollywood sell out) and edgy turned sexual guilt personified.

For nonscary game with nonetheless wonderful Lovecraftian story, see: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.
i think maybe something in area 51 like post apocalyptic in secret underground tunnels. or on an abandon spacecraft with demon like alien things(not like dead space) i think would be cool
I couldn't imagine a Frictional game without the physics interaction. Catering to consoles on that end is a challenge on its own...
As a simple solution, I might think of having Goldeneye-style movement with the left thumbstick, and move an onscreen cursor with the other. It would then "home in" when it's close to an object, whereas you can tap one of the trigger buttons to pick it up. The cursor would then change to a gripped fist, to indicate it's in your hand. If you lose control of it some way (pulling it through a small opening) then that first goes away.

One thing I might like to see in the next Frictional game is a very real and common horror. Rather than monsters carved up from some wicked magician or alien, have an entire level where you are on your own, being chased by a sadistic, half-crazy man carrying a gun. There would be multiple ways to take this sort of thing, but one idea is having him completely furious 100% of the time; you constantly hear his fuming breath, and he's constantly screaming horrible curses at you, yelling "WHERE ARE YOU, YOU ****?"

It would be a different fear from the Amnesia monsters, but being something even more real - something possible in real life - could make it that much more disturbing.
(12-06-2010, 09:45 PM)PvtLastClass Wrote: [ -> ]I couldn't imagine a Frictional game without the physics interaction. Catering to consoles on that end is a challenge on its own...
As a simple solution, I might think of having Goldeneye-style movement with the left thumbstick, and move an onscreen cursor with the other. It would then "home in" when it's close to an object, whereas you can tap one of the trigger buttons to pick it up. The cursor would then change to a gripped fist, to indicate it's in your hand. If you lose control of it some way (pulling it through a small opening) then that first goes away.

One thing I might like to see in the next Frictional game is a very real and common horror. Rather than monsters carved up from some wicked magician or alien, have an entire level where you are on your own, being chased by a sadistic, half-crazy man carrying a gun. There would be multiple ways to take this sort of thing, but one idea is having him completely furious 100% of the time; you constantly hear his fuming breath, and he's constantly screaming horrible curses at you, yelling "WHERE ARE YOU, YOU ****?"

It would be a different fear from the Amnesia monsters, but being something even more real - something possible in real life - could make it that much more disturbing.

How long can this man chase you until you grow tired of him and inevitably wind up trying to kill him rather than run from him? The thing about humans is they all have the common features - ears, nose, mouth, etc. The Amnesia monsters are horribly deformed and appalling to look at, which is great since players don't know what to expect.

I would suggest a game that takes place outside instead of inside, but it degrades the fear factor. Confined between walls, you have make a beeline for a door to escape a monster's grasp, but you'll probably run in any direction outside since it's more open.

As for the console port, I can't see how interaction would be as good as a PC. I feel the mouse can make more subtle movements then an analog stick. Still, I won't completely rule it out.
or what about something like the crazy guy with a gun what about like an insane asylum you could incorporate that in
I would like to see a game which sticks to their horror roots and style, the player still of little defense and the atmosphere dark.

this is the game ive always wanted to experience - A medieval like dimension where you play as a sort of sheltered young adult whome only recently became a knight by bloodline,he has a short sword tho the combat would be simple, no flashy combos or special moves, just a downword, sideways, stabbing attack and wonky block. nearly every encounter would be a near impossible fight to win and your blade would be more of a fend off, or last resort try for survival type weapon. I wouldn't want the story to be to explained, to many games now adays feel they have to root everything in reality and create this intricate back story as to why and how.

Have a story but don't show us the edges of it. Perhaps have the player setting out on a quest in a fantasy world to find some magic Item or to save a princess or something drowned in "the classic fantasy" framing. He would travel to a marshland or some kinda mire or church or something and begin exploring and uncovering the unknown monstrosity of the still largely unexplored world. Mainly anthropomorphic creatures but some would be alien and abysmal, more of shapes that idiotically eat, moan and defly lurk then actual creatures.
If you got the art design right and were able to paint the world out well enough for the player I think It would be a good adventure and testing horror experience. imagine fumbling through a bysmal marsh and archaic church courtyard with a sword which probably wont help you and perhaps some kind of magic orb of light on a staff or in your hand to light the way.
I would poo
(12-07-2010, 02:46 AM)Alex7754 Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to see a game which sticks to their horror roots and style, the player still of little defense and the atmosphere dark.

this is the game ive always wanted to experience - A medieval like dimension where you play as a sort of sheltered young adult whome only recently became a knight by bloodline,he has a short sword tho the combat would be simple, no flashy combos or special moves, just a downword, sideways, stabbing attack and wonky block. nearly every encounter would be a near impossible fight to win and your blade would be more of a fend off, or last resort try for survival type weapon. I wouldn't want the story to be to explained, to many games now adays feel they have to root everything in reality and create this intricate back story as to why and how.

Have a story but don't show us the edges of it. Perhaps have the player setting out on a quest in a fantasy world to find some magic Item or to save a princess or something drowned in "the classic fantasy" framing. He would travel to a marshland or some kinda mire or church or something and begin exploring and uncovering the unknown monstrosity of the still largely unexplored world. Mainly anthropomorphic creatures but some would be alien and abysmal, more of shapes that idiotically eat, moan and defly lurk then actual creatures.
If you got the art design right and were able to paint the world out well enough for the player I think It would be a good adventure and testing horror experience. imagine fumbling through a bysmal marsh and archaic church courtyard with a sword which probably wont help you and perhaps some kind of magic orb of light on a staff or in your hand to light the way.
I would poo

I can't imagine horror in a fantasy land. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22