Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03-04-2013, 08:36 PM)crisosphinx Wrote: [ -> ]
Spoiler below!
[Image: Render.png]

Finally the first set of animations are done. I'll post my demoreel via youtube in here when I'm finished with it this week (?).

The bottom half looks more realistic than the top half. It's like you used solid colors for the top and drew out textures for the bottom.

EDIT: Ok, I see the textures now, but they look much simpler on top. Am I making sense or do I sound rambling mad? I can't tell.
(03-04-2013, 09:41 PM)Aldighieri Wrote: [ -> ]
Spoiler below!

Finally the first set of animations are done. I'll post my demoreel via youtube in here when I'm finished with it this week (?).

The bottom half looks more realistic than the top half. It's like you used solid colors for the top and drew out textures for the bottom.

EDIT: Ok, I see the textures now, but they look much simpler on top. Am I making sense or do I sound rambling mad? I can't tell.

I elected to not do too much detail on the top. He's so top heavy, so there is a lot of attention there already. His cloak is heavily detailed to make up for the armor in the front.

It was a personal choice. It's all painterly textures, but the detail in the top portion of the armor is quite a bit less in some parts compared to the lower half. But you're right, it is a bit awkward, to some extent. His arms are quite detailed, don't let the render fool you Tongue
(03-04-2013, 11:11 PM)crisosphinx Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2013, 09:41 PM)Aldighieri Wrote: [ -> ]
Spoiler below!

I elected to not do too much detail on the top. He's so top heavy, so there is a lot of attention there already. His cloak is heavily detailed to make up for the armor in the front.

It was a personal choice. It's all painterly textures, but the detail in the top portion of the armor is quite a bit less in some parts compared to the lower half. But you're right, it is a bit awkward, to some extent. His arms are quite detailed, don't let the render fool you Tongue

Tch, tch, tch.

That sir, is NOT a painted texture.

*shakes head*

THESE, are handpainted.

[Image: LuxGaren_SteelLegion_Render.png]
Quote: That sir, is NOT a painted texture.

*shakes head*

THESE, are handpainted.
I'm confused, how are his textures not painted.
Criso: *hand-paints texture like a baws
Traggey: *claims it isn't hand painted.

Me: lolk
Criso: *hand-paints texture like a baws
Traggey: *claims it isn't hand painted.
Statyk: lolk

Me : I SAW WHAT YOU DID THERE
Quote: Criso: *hand-paints texture like a baws
Well... they aren't bad at all and they sure fit the style of the model, but I think Traggey's example shows pretty nicely that Criso still has a little bit more to learn before he'll be "painting textures like a baws". Wink
(03-05-2013, 11:12 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: Criso: *hand-paints texture like a baws
Well... they aren't bad at all and they sure fit the style of the model, but I think Traggey's example shows pretty nicely that Criso still has a little bit more to learn before he'll be "painting textures like a baws". Wink

I came from a background of high poly modeling and real-textures instead of just painting them on a model. Sure, I have room for improvement, but I did half-assed this (a little less than 4 hours of work after some UVW fixing).

I just needed some color on there so I could display the animation (which finished rendering yesterday, after I textured it... all 1022 frames).
Yes, I gave him my feedback, but he still hand-painted it. I don't see how it's not hand-painted, I watched him do it on a livestream.

And even if it's not PERFECT, he stated the post was going to based on the animation, not the model or texture. I would say give the feedback to the animation, not the silly textures or model. Those aren't important here.
Quote: I came from a background of high poly modeling and real-textures instead of just painting them on a model. Sure, I have room for improvement, but I did half-assed this (a little less than 4 hours of work after some UVW fixing).

I just needed some color on there so I could display the animation (which finished rendering yesterday, after I textured it... all 1022
frames).
I know, I know, there's no need to be defensive about it. Smile I was just replying to No Author, who basically described something, even you yourself called "half-assed", as amazing, which I (and you, too, apparently!) wasn't entirely agreeing with.

But besides that - if you don't want people to give feedback on what they see, why are you posting something you consider to be half-assed in the first place?