Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(11-22-2013, 07:32 AM)Juras Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2013, 03:35 AM)Rapture Wrote: [ -> ]
Spoiler below!
[Image: m52g.png]

Finished up a little more details on the dude.

Just some touch up on some muscles and stuff. His arms still look like bricks though.

I retopologized him also, (The 3 bottom guys are it) with a basic biped rig. His hands look stupid because I have yet to rig them up for animation, that is next on my list.

And lastly trying to figure out how to animate the dude. Smile

//*****
To any fellow animators, if you made a Rig whether it's based on your own style or using a tutorial. Is it annoying to position or tweak the bones? (I'm using a IK rig)
With the current tutorial I'm using, it gets annoying when the arms/legs get close to the body, and rotating or moving them just makes the elbow/knee IK bones rotate like mad.

I'm using this tutorial for my Rig.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/12/12/b...r-rigging/

You can see at the beginning of the final Rig he makes. Would this be a standard rig that you guys would make? (Up to the point of the Body + Fingers. I currently have no face/eyes or toes to worry about.)

Could you suggest some tutorials on better rigs that would be better for a bipedal human?

Looks pretty good! May I ask you what kind of character you're trying to make and what program you use? Also I noticed your sculpt has some "muddy" shapes like on the right bicep which tells me that you started sculpting on a high subdivision level which I don't recommend. Instead try starting from lowest subdivision levels and work your way up with the subdivision levels, it will result a much cleaner and nicer sculpt in the endSmile
"http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/12/12/blender-introduction-to-character-rigging/"

yep thats it
Very early into the sculpting process, but it's starting to come along.

[Image: 1422385_10202451985400073_746738884_n.jpg]
(11-22-2013, 01:37 PM)Traggey Wrote: [ -> ]Very early into the sculpting process, but it's starting to come along.

You are the pro here, but it's legs look weird... when the boots start, concretely. It looks like the leg is bent in a wrong way, at least to me 0_0
(11-22-2013, 01:37 PM)Traggey Wrote: [ -> ]Very early into the sculpting process, but it's starting to come along.

Is that Link?

(11-22-2013, 07:32 AM)Juras Wrote: [ -> ]Looks pretty good! May I ask you what kind of character you're trying to make and what program you use? Also I noticed your sculpt has some "muddy" shapes like on the right bicep which tells me that you started sculpting on a high subdivision level which I don't recommend. Instead try starting from lowest subdivision levels and work your way up with the subdivision levels, it will result a much cleaner and nicer sculpt in the endSmile
I am using Blender, I prefer to use the Dynamic Topology (I did kind of start at a higher subdivision because of it) tool because I can make holes and build up whacky things without first making it from a Base-mesh or tweaking it a lot in half way of sculpting. (Like if I wanted to add in a hole his chest or give him some extra arms or get rid of a finger)

What do you mean by "muddy" exactly?
(11-22-2013, 05:25 PM)Rapture Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2013, 07:32 AM)Juras Wrote: [ -> ]Looks pretty good! May I ask you what kind of character you're trying to make and what program you use? Also I noticed your sculpt has some "muddy" shapes like on the right bicep which tells me that you started sculpting on a high subdivision level which I don't recommend. Instead try starting from lowest subdivision levels and work your way up with the subdivision levels, it will result a much cleaner and nicer sculpt in the endSmile

I am using Blender, I prefer to use the Dynamic Topology (I did kind of start at a higher subdivision because of it) tool because I can make holes and build up whacky things without first making it from a Base-mesh or tweaking it a lot in half way of sculpting. (Like if I wanted to add in a hole his chest or give him some extra arms or get rid of a finger)

It needs a lot more work, but I'm not one to poke and prod at people's sculpting skills - since I cannot sculpt for the life of me. Creating a realistic person is extremely hard - because one has to have good anatomy knowledge (bone structure, muscle structure etc.). There is also the fact that an attempt at creating something 'too realistic' will look wierd/horrifying, whereas stylizing is used to help rid of that.

As for 'muddy' I think that he's referring to the fact that unless one is precise in the creation of shapes it can be as if the model look sculpted of clay.
(11-22-2013, 05:25 PM)Rapture Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Is that Link?

[quote='Juras' pid='274452' dateline='1385101921']Looks pretty good! May I ask you what kind of character you're trying to make and what program you use? Also I noticed your sculpt has some "muddy" shapes like on the right bicep which tells me that you started sculpting on a high subdivision level which I don't recommend. Instead try starting from lowest subdivision levels and work your way up with the subdivision levels, it will result a much cleaner and nicer sculpt in the endSmile

As Acies explained. Basically if you start on high subdivision level there are alot more polygons which kind of restricts you on defining the big shapes leading to a sculpt with unclean shapes and small bumps, "muddy". That's why I recommend to start on lowest levels, define the big shapes and work your way subdividing up to the smallest details, that way you get a nice and clean sculpt in the end Smile
Uuuuupdait!

[Image: 1472916_10202458607045610_1875972310_n.jpg]
(11-22-2013, 10:04 PM)Traggey Wrote: [ -> ]Uuuuupdait!

[Image: 1472916_10202458607045610_1875972310_n.jpg]

How did you make the texture? I'm trying to get better at texturing, but I fail all the times... an explanation from someone like you will help me Smile
There is no texture yet, it's all just flat colours and my sculpting.
Why not just make a thread for your livestreaming?