Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Rant Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You listen to Frank Zappa right? Because both Zappa and Beefheart had similar things in mind musically, but Zappa was lightyears beyond Beefheart in every respect. Even Zappa's "obnoxious noises" are borderline poetic.
I've heard a few songs from him and thought they were pretty great but never actually listened to a full album by him so I might need to check that out soon.
The music thread.

It's spreading. ._.
Get Zappa in New York. It's not a perfect representation of his career, but it is one of the best albums ever made. I guarantee you will enjoy it.

Meanwhile, here's one of his best songs, if you haven't heard it:

Just breathtaking.
Here's one of my random rants:

why's everyone bitching ooooh cloud should have won, go cloud, so much style, so much swag and originality woo. Bunch of eboys is what they are, cloud's doin nothing but goofing around and pretending to be a streetdancer, like its a frigging step up movie. Well guess what eboys, STREET DANCE doesn't exist. It's a dance made up by some 12 year old girl that doesn't know how to breakdance/bboy and is bad at other dance styles so she just mixed some shit up and called it a dance.

his funny stuff got old after 2 battles and he's just being repetitive. Sure, yeah he's actually a good bboy and with no doubt i wouldnt win against him, but holy smokes in that final he was just bad, no disrespect to him. Lilou came in aggresive and with a you-dont-fuck-with-me attitude and it was obvious that he came there with a goal to win. While cloud was like it was a school dance or something.

and red bull bc one, what the F is with the spanish music and rotating camera
(04-23-2013, 02:49 PM)Aldighieri Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-23-2013, 06:20 AM)Kman Wrote: [ -> ]I'm about 90% sure the only people who actually like Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica are dirty hipsters that want to look artsy by pretending they like obnoxious noise that most people "just won't get".

I mean don't get me wrong, there's plenty of obnoxious noise that most people wouldn't get that's also really fucking good, it's just that album doesn't fit into that category, it just sucks ass.

I like listening to jet engines take off because that's ironic. Wait, am I using that word right? AM I HIP YET?!?

Actually that does kind of exist in a way, if you look up the genre lowercase it's basically ambient music made by mixing and splicing field recordings with long periods of silence in between each. It's... odd
Trigger warnings.

They're pointless, the moment someone sees a trigger warning they think back to what they might be triggered about and are in fact triggered by that. They are a certain trauma trigger for everyone with trauma, whereas a depiction of a situation will only trigger those who have dealt with that specific situation (where the warning will have triggered them already anyway). They are the worst idea ever - making something that is insensitive to some insensitive to all.
What do you mean with 'trigger'?
A trigger warning is a warning posted before media containing stuff that could trigger a person with trauma to have to think about and feel those emotions again. For example, a story that contains a sexual abuse sequence would have a trigger warning to say "trigger warning: this story contains graphic depictions of rape" to warn people who have sexual abuse trauma.

Simply that sentence will have triggered it already.
There is however a huge difference between thinking back on it, which that person likely does anyway, and "experiencing it again" by seeing it vividly. The actual sights and sounds are more traumatizing than the idea.

EDIT: Not that it doesn't trigger the memories, you are absolutely right in that regard. However, leaving the viewer to see it for themselves, which I actually don't think is a negative thing, removes the vagueness.