Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Rant Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-03-2013, 03:38 PM)Dogfood Wrote: [ -> ]funny thing, America is supposed to be the land of freedom Smile

And in many ways it is. Governments might screw around as usual, but people, communities and atmosphere are what's most people will interact with and experience.
(05-03-2013, 04:41 PM)Statyk Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2013, 03:38 PM)Dogfood Wrote: [ -> ]funny thing, America is supposed to be the land of freedom Smile

America's a shithole. The only things good about it are the technology and living conditions (subjective. But not everywhere is a dump like in third world countries for example).

I still find it much more aesthetically pleasing than most other countries. Although I can't really say that for certain because I haven't seen that many countries first-hand, I've been plenty of times to the US and used to live there, it is awesome. It sucks in some ways, but living there is quite nice.

EDIT: I just don't see where people get "shithole" from. There are far worse places.
I spent most of my entire childhood there in America (Maryland to be exact). It's actually not that bad of a place to live in, at least for me during that time.
(05-03-2013, 05:02 PM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]I still find it much more aesthetically pleasing than most other countries. Although I can't really say that for certain because I haven't seen that many countries first-hand, I've been plenty of times to the US and used to live there, it is awesome. It sucks in some ways, but living there is quite nice.

EDIT: I just don't see where people get "shithole" from. There are far worse places.

It's mainly from living here all my life, there are a list of things about this place that irk me that I'm not going to list because it's a bit much (it could be equal in other places as well, but I can't speak for them). The biggest thing is just the attitude of people in higher populated areas. Forget about safety on the road, people drive however the hell the feel to the point where I'm not even sure if they have a valid license...

Like you said, and I said as well, it's a comfortable living place, especially where I live compared to the areas around me, but leave your house and the place can be a drag. Depends where you live mostly.
(05-03-2013, 05:02 PM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2013, 04:41 PM)Statyk Wrote: [ -> ]

America's a shithole. The only things good about it are the technology and living conditions (subjective. But not everywhere is a dump like in third world countries for example).

I still find it much more aesthetically pleasing than most other countries. Although I can't really say that for certain because I haven't seen that many countries first-hand, I've been plenty of times to the US and used to live there, it is awesome. It sucks in some ways, but living there is quite nice.

Same here. But I agree with Statyk that where you live is a big factor.
(05-03-2013, 05:44 PM)Statyk Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2013, 05:02 PM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]I still find it much more aesthetically pleasing than most other countries. Although I can't really say that for certain because I haven't seen that many countries first-hand, I've been plenty of times to the US and used to live there, it is awesome. It sucks in some ways, but living there is quite nice.

It's mainly from living here all my life, there are a list of things about this place that irk me that I'm not going to list because it's a bit much (it could be equal in other places as well, but I can't speak for them). The biggest thing is just the attitude of people in higher populated areas. Forget about safety on the road, people drive however the hell the feel to the point where I'm not even sure if they have a valid license...

Like you said, and I said as well, it's a comfortable living place, especially where I live compared to the areas around me, but leave your house and the place can be a drag. Depends where you live mostly.

I understand. But these are things you will encounter almost everywhere. Generally, around 50% of all people are utterly abhorrent at best and a serious safety hazard at worst. I believe that thing about the drivers, although pretty much all countries have terrible drivers. You should see how it is in South America. If you're a pedestrian and happen to find yourself in the middle of the street when the light turns green you actually stand a high chance of being run over. No joke. Not to mention the ridiculously high percentage of traffic-related fatalities, the fact that many drivers ignore right-of-ways and run reds. It's anarchy. Probably worse in Africa and certain Asian countries.
Yeah having visited a few places in europe on vacations with my family I can tell you pretty safely that we have much much much more tame roads than a loooooot of other places in the world.

And yeah really I don't get why everyone seems to hate America so much. There are ignorant people and stupid people and greedy people here but there are just as many in all other places of the world too, it's just with how diverse our population is combined with the fact that you hear and see about basically everything that goes on here because of how technology focused our culture is it basically puts all those people under a big magnifying glass.
Kman. A lot of people don't like America because:

1: You seem like a cultural bully, theres a ton of American culture being incepted in many countries. Such as on my own (And I do agree a little whit this part) we are forced to learn your history and language, we almost only have American movies on the cinema and so on so forth... Some people just don't like that.

2: Because of the Image of the stereotypical fat, redneck, racist, religious fanatic American gun-wilding man that many people don't like, but forget to understand that is not the majority of the US people...
i know a lot of people that hate America and americans in my country. It's because we have a lot of serbian immigrants that came to our country because you bombed them not so many years ago and many have lost their homes and families. So yeah, quite a number of people in my country take you for blood thirsty, war mongering psycho's with guns
Yeah I can understand people being upset over American culture being forced on other countries, but if anyone actually believes all Americans fit into the American stereotype then they're just being a dumbass.