Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: [Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 2r6z2bd.jpg]

[Image: 331hcpi.jpg]
---
What 'cha guys think?
(03-28-2013, 02:45 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 2r6z2bd.jpg]

How come it that there is no light on the ceiling? The light looks pretty bright Wink
You need light dust particles, not only where the billboards are, but also a little further... I bet there's dusty down there.

[Image: 331hcpi.jpg]

That looks too godlike. Unless it's the entrance to an amazing orb-chamber, you might want to rethink those torches. Try putting it into context. What is this hallway being used for? Workers? Then you probably don't need all those torches... Just 1 or 2 lamps.
---
What 'cha guys think?
@Sprog-sama

2 things I notice consistently throughout your maps/screens is that
a) The boxlights are very bright
b)you don't detail walls

The former is simple enough, just lower the values. The latter I'd like to go a bit more in depth on.

You have some pretty good design, its definitely one of your strong points as a mapper, but you hardly detail walls which is a very big part of the game.

Think about it like this: the player is going to be looking forward for roughly 90%+ of your mod, not at the ground nor at the ceiling (both of those you've detailed fine enough). You should use the hell out of various decals/welders, just be creative. There shouldn't be an empty/plain wall, especially in a well lit place -- that's just a waste.
How do you guys made Wine Cellars?
(03-30-2013, 04:41 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: [ -> ]How do you guys made Wine Cellars?

I look at the original one.

I like the design of the rooms where you, in the original story, pick up laudanum, and the monster spawns in the end of a corridor.
I've used the design before, and it works pretty good.

I use wooden floor, wooden ceiling, detailed corridors, and wine shelves.
Time for some more screenshots!

Spoiler below!

[Image: rmEItPQ.jpg]

(Sorry for the hint-text :c)

Spoiler below!

[Image: 9TECogf.jpg]

Spoiler below!

[Image: m4I33cm.jpg]

It might just be me, but I don't like the lighting at all. It looks as if you have a very strong boxlight. The spotlight gobo looks odd too. The borders are "too sharp" and the gobo itself is too small.
It looks to me like he didn't actually use the gobo, he used a normal shadow-casting spotlight and placed it behind the actual grating, hence the sharp edges. I would suggest using a non-shadow casting spotlight with that same grating gobo (I know it exists) and place it UNDER the grate. It may seem counter-intuitive, but it actually looks better and players will never know the difference.
The billboards look too light to have the room be so blue
Ok, I'll make the boxlight a bit darker. Actually, the spotlight does have a gobo and it's placed under the grating so I'm not sure how to fix that, I'll probably have to play around a bit with I guess.
BeeKayK, what do you mean by that?

Thanks for the critisism guys Big Grin